Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Preschool Orientation, New Toy for Mom, and Words.

I went to Isabel's preschool orientation tonight at the CDC. It was surprisingly reassuring and pleasant. After reading the policy binder that was full of 'never,' 'always,' 'you must,' 'you may never,' and 'we will kick your ass out,' I was a little worried. Izzy's lead teacher was out of town, so we go to meet the assistant teacher and see the classroom. After a welcome and brief operations update from the director we went to the classroom. Of course the 'peanut-free zone' thing came up and people were asking if it was all nuts of just peanuts that were off limits. The assistant teacher said she didn't know, so I was forced to out myself and say it's all nuts. I love how I've become 'that mom.' I got some very thoughtful and genuine comments and questions from other parents and it really made me feel more at ease. Everyone was told to treat it as if it was their child with the life threatening allergy. High five CDC! They're hard core. Isabel even has a music and Spanish class, but the main focus is still play play play. I want to go!

I was the only parent without my partner. I also am the proud owner of a 7 day holter monitor. Between no husband with me, not wearing a wedding ring, having my leads peek out of my shirt, and being the 'peanut mom,' I'm sure I won a lot of hearts tonight. I picked up the volunteer form to try and make up for it.

This older (much much much older) gentleman, who is the dad of one of the kiddos in class, came right up to me and goes 'what's this you've got going on?' as he points to my chest. Wow. I told him it was a holter monitor that checks for arrhythmia's and he proceeds to tell me about his 2001 heart attack. That's a lot of sharing for someone I met just 2 seconds prior.

Here's the new toy I'll be wearing for the next 7 days. An awesome pager-like monitor and a cell phone that communicates with it. I have to have the cell phone within 10 feet of the monitor. Please note that I did not wear this shirt to orientation. I would have worn a turtleneck had it not been 102 degrees when I left. And yes, it is a maternity shirt. It's comfortable, so shut it.


Logan grabbed the 'communicator' and called the tech center 3 seconds after this picture was taken. Fantastic!


I'm pretty sure this is over-kill by my cardiologist, but since I've been running my butt off I think he wants to try and make sure I don't keel over in the middle of a race or something. I'm sure this will cost my insurance company approximately 80 billion dollars.

This week Logan has said: egg, goodbye (while waving), hi, mama, dada, and uh-oh. That makes his word knowledge about 6. Yay Logan! He's ridiculously cute.

Isabel is super cute as well, but has been having some issues bossing Logan around. She has to sleep with her 'Thomas the Train' train every night. I have no idea how she latched on to him. Those suckers are expensive and I'm feeling like we need to get at least one more. Sigh. She says the funniest things. She told Logan 'shh brother, use your inside voice please' today. She also is saying 'your welcome' a lot which is cute because I haven't been pushing that one as much as the 'please' and 'thank yous.'

No comments:

Post a Comment