Friday, September 5, 2014

Back To School

Alrighty. Just going to jump back in to blogging.  We all survived back to school!  After a great Montana vacation (hoping to do a separate post on that fun with pictures later) we hit the ground running. 









Brian was in Spokane for work for a week while I flew back to Austin with the kids.  We started school August 25th.  Both kids have been doing really well.  They are both wiped out after school.  Logan goes from 7:35am until 2pm and rides the bus the very short trip home.  He's home by 2:15pm at the latest.  Isabel is in school from 7:35am until 2:35pm.  As soon as Logan gets off the bus I immediately put him in the car to pick Izzy up.  He hates this and just wants to go inside and relax.  We pick up Izzy and head home.

Logan is doing ABA therapy in home on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3pm until 6:30pm.  We originally had it scheduled until 7pm, but it was just too late.  As it is 6:30pm is still pretty late.  I like to have the kids in bed by 7pm.  Tuesdays and Thursdays are challenging.  Logan is tired.  Izzy is tired.  I try to participate in therapy as much as possible, but having Izzy home can make that challenging.

Logan's teachers are both new this year.  He has a male lead teacher which I think is going to be a great fit for him.  He does much better and is more compliant with his male ABA therapist and I think that is happening at school.  His teacher emailed me last week telling me how great Logan was doing and what a joy he was to have in class.  Mr. Brandon has 5 kids of his own and his wife is also a teacher, so while this is his first year as a PPCD teacher, he has lots of experience.  I mentioned today that I we were going to sign Logan up for martial arts after school today and he said he teaches jiu jitsu in Oak hill.  He teachers kids a little older than Logan, but something to keep in the back of my head for sure.  He's just an all around nice guy and I'm happy Logan is in his class.  The assistant teacher is from the CDC (Logan and Izzy's old preschool) and is also great.  The CDC and AISD partner to create the inclusion program.  It's great because Logan gets all of the CDC 'specials' teachers for things like Spanish, music, PE, etc.  They just walk over to the elementary school.

Isabel has been doing really well transitioning to Kinder.  It was a very big change for her as she was just going to preschool twice a week.  She seems to really like it and is making new friends.  She has about 4 friends from her old preschool in her class, so that helps.  She also has two girls in her class that are on her soccer team.  Her teacher seems very nice and has been helpful with the nut allergy.

I just typed out the entire situation that occurred at Back to School night and explained Izzy's 504 plan.  And then I deleted it.  It doesn't need to be on the internet.  It was an uncomfortable and infuriating situation.  I will leave it at that.

Isabel has her first dance class of the year today.  She's really looking forward to that.  We also have her first soccer game tomorrow morning!  After practice she said 'phew!  I need to practice more.  It's really hard remembering how to play!'  Haha.

I'm hoping to get Logan into martial arts.  Unfortunately with ABA, soccer and dance we have a very limited time frame for him.  It looks like Monday evening or Saturday morning.  Having an activity every single day of the weekday might be tough, but I don't really want our entire Saturday morning taken up either.  Hmmmm.  I do really want to get him in some sort of fun activity.  ABA sort of sucks for him and soccer last year was such a disaster.

Hoping for a nice productive weekend!  The time flies by during the week while the kids are in school and I never get done nearly as much as I want to.  I have a ton of home projects lined up.  I was hoping to get all of the closets cleaned out this week for bulk collection next week, but I've only managed half of one.  :-/

1 comment:

  1. As you know we did ABA for years. Can you ask whether his ABA tutor/therapist can attend martial arts with him? Our ABA therapists were always willing to do the therapy within the scope of an activity. Our school day is 7:30-2:30 also....definitely long days for little ones. It sounds like his preschool and teacher placement are perfect.

    ReplyDelete