Thursday, January 26, 2012

This asthma is driving me crazy!

I hate asthma! It is SO frustrating and annoying and scary. Isabel has been on Pulmocort pretty much since her last wheezing episode in December. As per the pediatrician's orders we slowly weaned her down to 1x/day as she got better. Yesterday she started wheezing again, so the nebulizer is getting a steady workout. The crack, I mean albuterol, that she gets every 4 hours makes her jittery, have the shakes and generally become crazy. Well crazier than a 2.5 year old already is. Last night she was up ALL night and then at 7:05 am I hear "Mommy, I AWAAAAKE!" How is it possible for a toddler to get less sleep than an adult? I really wanted to take her in bed with us last night because she was having such a hard time, but Brian and I decided that she needed to be on the movement monitor. There was a case of RSV in her preschool classroom this week, so I took her to the doctor to try and rule that out. Not that it would make the treatment any different, but I was worried about our planned trip to Houston this weekend and exposing Lucas, who could in turn expose new baby. That would not be good. So they did an RSV test. What I thought was a simple nose swab turned out to be a nasal irrigation. I was at the doctor's office by myself with 2 hungry kids for an hour and a half. The nasal irrigation completed our less-than-pleasant trip and was not super fun. We'll get the results in 1-2 days. Hopefully before tomorrow night so that we can decide whether we'll go to Houston or not. If we don't get results we won't go since it's just not worth the risk. If Izzy's breathing isn't under control in about 5 days she'll start another round of oral steroids. Fun times. I'm apprehensive about giving her so many meds, especially the albuterol, but the doctor assured us that lung scarring (a result of extended lung inflammation) is much worse than the drugs and is irreversable. We did get switched to a different rescue inhalor, so hopefully she won't get the shakes like she does with albuterol. It's seriously like watching someone on speed when she has it. I get hopped up, but can still sleep after I take albuterol, so her reaction is scary to me. Well, I could probably sleep anytime/anyplace, so I'm not a good example.

Between my insomnia, the crazy thunderstorms Tuesday night and Isabel's asthma Brian and I are going on very very very little sleep. I can handle getting 4-5 hours a night now that I've been doing it for years, but 2-3 is a little rough. My coffee consumption has about tripled.

It's a beautiful day outside, but I'm not comforatable having Izzy run around today, so we're inside watching shows and movies. Boring. Logan isn't impressed. Poor thing desperately wants to go outside and play.

No comments:

Post a Comment