Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Cabinets and hutch

The cabinets are mostly finished! It feels sooooo good to not be racing around in a filthy house trying to get that next coat if paint on before doing A, B or C. The house is getting a deep clean and laundry is getting put away. I don't want to see a paint brush again for a long time! Brian ordered the hardware for the cabinets online and got a stellar deal. He got it all for about 1/3 of the retail price with free shipping and no tax!

So now we 'just' need to put all of the knobs and pulls on, but that can be done when Brian has some time a little bit at a time. I won't even attempt to install them. Things that require measuring and precision are not my strong points anymore. Which is weird because that's all I used to do in the lab.

I also ordered Isabel's hutch for her dresser. Way back in 2009 we purchased a very expensive dresser from a baby boutique here in town. We couldn't afford to buy the hutch at the same time (and we needed the space for the changing pad) so we were assured that after registering the furniture we would get an email at least 6 months before anything was discontinued. As I was searching online for a bed for Isabel I searched the site that manufactured her dresser to see if we wanted a bed from the collection I came across the hutch. It was cream (her other furniture is white) or blue and about 60% off. I got excited thinking we could fine the hutch in white elsewhere on sale. No such luck. Even if we were willing to pay full price no one has the hutch! It was discontinued. Grr. Unfortunately the store we bought the dresser from has gone out of business and there are no other stores in town who sell the line.

After searching online and through Craigslist we decided to buy the cream color and paint it white. Darn, there might be another paintbrush in my future! I called the manufacturer and she wasn't sure why we didn't get an email, but is sending us out a wood sample of the color of our dresser so that we can take it to a paint store and get it color matched. I didn't have to pay tax and they are going to 'white glove' install it. Basically set it all up in Isabel's room and take all if the packaging away.

Even with having to paint it the price was so good that I think it was the right decision. We really like the hutch and that was the reason we bought this dresser!

Still no bed for Isabel. I'm going to keep shopping Craigslist and maybe hit up some stores in Houston the next time we're there.

While I was showing Isabel how to use the peeler it got caught in my fingernail about 1/2 way down the nail. Ouch! It did not feel good. That was the end of our lesson.

We had a play date valentines day party yesterday. Here are the kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment