Wednesday, September 25, 2013

9 year old and a tough lesson in tights

Isabel saw the pediatric cardiologist today.  Dr. Finnegan did another ECHO and EKG and cleared her.  He said she should come back in 5 YEARS!  That's when she'll be NINE!  Crazy.  Dr. Finnegan said we won't be seeing him.  Boo.  I guess he plans to be long retired by then.

It's too bad because he's amazing. I know I've said it before, but he's the best medical professional I've ever come into contact with.  He has a photographic memory, doesn't take any bullshit, has a great bedside manner and expects greatness from everyone who works with him.  This extends to the front desk.  While we were there in the waiting room he popped in to see what he could do to expedite patients getting in the exam rooms.  I guess they were down a nurse and he was taking patients back himself.  I know he can be tough for the nurses to work with because he will call your ass out in a second (as I overheard in the PICU while we were there), but for patients, he is seriously the best.  I really wanted to put this on the blog because too often I can complain and whine, but I really want to recognize this great doctor.  I need to write him a letter before he retires.

Back to the exam.  So the doctor said if Izzy faints again and recovers quickly (as she did before) that we do t need to head to the ER.  He said to call the office and he will refer us to a cardiac rhythm doctor  to get to the bottom of it.  It can be totally harmless, but with our family history we need to make sure.  He said it was likely due to her being in one position (a canoe) and then moving around before her body had time to catch up.

We went to the mall after the long appointment.  Why?  Why do I do this to myself?  It's really not worth the free underwear coupon I was going to redeem.

Izzy had dance class today.  I took her and her friend (who was over this afternoon to play) to class.  Her friend had a little hole in her tights. After class the hole was pretty big.  Isabel was wearing a brand new pair of tights.  Somehow between picking her up from class and getting home she had a huge hole in them.  I knew she purposely either made the hole or ripped it so that it became bigger.   Soooooo I told her that she would have to buy new tights with her own saved money.  She cried and ran up to her room.  I heard a loud noise and went upstairs to investigate.  This is what I saw:
And she begged me not to take all of her money.  I told her that I would take however much we needed to buy the tights and that she could still keep the rest.  She asked how much tights cost.  I told her $4 so we counted out $4 in coins and with dollar bills.  I asked her how we should pay and this is what she came up with:
$3 in bills and $1 in quarters.

I have a feeling she won't rip a hole in her tights again.

No comments:

Post a Comment